This article contains recommendations and best practices for using MX Guardian with Microsoft Office 365 Exchange Online.
Create a receive connector
- Login to your Office 365 account as an Adminstrator and open the Exchange Admin Center.
- Under mailflow, click connectors.
- Click the Plus (+) icon to create a new connector.
- Under Select your mail flow scenario:
- In the From box select Partner Organization
- In the To box select Office 365
- Click Next
- In the Name box, type "MXGuardian" and click Next
- Select Use the sender's IP address and click Next
- Add all the MX Guardian IP addresses which can be found at http://www.mxguardian.net/ips. You need to add each address one at a time.
- Click the Plus (+) icon to add an IP address
- Type (or copy & paste) the first IP address
- Click Ok.
- Repeat steps 1-3 for each IP address
- When finished, click Next
- On the security restrictions page, accept the defaults by clicking Next
- On the confirmation page, click Save
MX Records and Office 365
When you setup your domain in Office 365, Microsoft will provide you with a new MX record. Usually it is something like "example-com.mail.protection.outlook.com". They will instruct you to point your MX record to this new value. However, if you do that your mail will not go through MX Guardian. Instead you'll need to use this value as your "mail server hostname" in MX Guardian. You'll find this setting on the "Domain Settings" tab.
This tells us where to send your mail after filtering.
Please note that since your MX record will be pointing to MX Guardian, you may see an error in your Office 365 console stating that your MX record is misconfigured. You can safely ignore this warning.